Paternity Actions



How Can We Help You?

I have read the disclaimer.


Email Disclaimer
By sumitting this form you acknowledge that emailing us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. Your email may be used for firm marketing purposes. If you have any concerns, prior to sending your email, you are advised to contact any member of the law firm of Rowley Chapman & Barney by telephone at (480) 833-1113.
Paternity Actions in Arizona


Pattorney AttorneyA paternity action is where the court establishes the identity of a father. Often, once paternity is determined, the court will also order child support to be paid, determine the legal decision-making (formerly custody), and parenting time that the parents will share.

Paternity actions are only for unmarried parents of a child. Once a party has filed to establish paternity, then the other party will be served and a hearing date is scheduled. Paternity actions are not paternity tests although a paternity test will be ordered if requested by one of the parties.
Arizona has a public policy that absent evidence to the contrary, it is in a child’s best interest to have both parents participate in decision making about and regularly spend time with the child. The extent of the involvement will depend on the history of the parents’ involvement with the child and whether a parent has any issues that would pose a risk to the child.

Sometimes a father will request that the child be given his last name or a hyphenated last name. While this is certainly a possibility it is not guaranteed. The court will look at the child’s age, the length of time a child has borne his/her current name, the child’s preference, the effect the name change will have on the child, the effect of the name change on the relationship with the parents, and a number of other possible factors.
It is important to remember that child support can be retroactively ordered up to three years. That means that a parent can get child support ordered including a judgment of what the other parent should have paid for the last three years. The court can also order a father to pay a portion of the mother’s medical bills from the pregnancy.

Either a mother or father can bring a paternity action. At Rowley Chapman & Barney, we handle a whole range of situations. Sometimes a couple will have recently broken up and need to establish their roles in their child’s life. Other times a father has been absent or less involved for a long period of time, and the mother needs to establish paternity so that she can receive child support. A common situation we see is one parent preventing the other parent from seeing the child.

We strongly recommend that parents establish paternity and determine legal decision-making, parenting time and child support. Even if you and the other parent are getting along great right now, you never know if the relationship may sour in the future. It is best to be prepared with a clear parenting plan to avoid any issues down the road.

We Can Help You!

If you are struggling with paternity issues, our experienced family law attorneys are here to help you navigate the court system and protect your rights. Call us today.

Get answers to your legal questions

Read Disclaimer
I have read the disclaimer.

What Our Clients Says

From the Blog

Legal Decision Making over Children | Child Custody Attorney
After Divorce Who Really Has Legal Decision Making Authority Now? During a divorce or custody dispute, the[more]
Legal Decision Making | Is AZ a Pro Mother State | Child Custody Mesa AZ
Is Arizona Still Considered a “Pro-Mother” State for Legal Decision Making? Many clients have come to[more]
Welcome Aboard ~ Nicole Bernabé | Divorce Attorney
We are proud to introduce Nicole Bernabé as the newest divorce attorney to join our firm.[more]