What Should You Expect From a Family Law Consultation?
You have come to a point in your life where you are beginning your search for a family law attorney whether it be for divorce or child custody. What should you expect during your consultation with a good family law attorney?
- You can expect to give background information regarding your circumstances. Sometimes clients will have no issue beginning their story. Other times, the attorney will ask you certain questions to gather the relevant information they need to best advise you. Is this a divorce? Are there children involved? Is this only a child custody matter? Is this an enforcement or a modification of prior orders? This information will allow the attorney to provide you with accurate information.
- A good family law attorney should discuss with you the process of a divorce or child custody matter. The attorney will guide you through what you need and what you should expect. They should inform you of the next steps and the process until final resolution. The attorney should inform you of the options to mediate and the trial process.
- The attorney should explain the law and how it relates to your circumstances. The attorney can give you an opinion based on the information you have provided but they should never guarantee a specific outcome. If there are children involved, the attorney will discuss legal decision making, parenting time and child support. If the matter is a divorce, the attorney should also discuss division of assets and debts and spousal maintenance.
- The attorney should explain the fee structure. Does the attorney require an initial retainer deposit? If so, what is it? The attorney should explain their hourly rate and how they bill you.
- Ask questions. Bring a pad of paper with questions you have or topics you want to discuss so that you don’t forget to ask important questions.
At the end of the consultation, you should have a better understanding of the process for divorce or child custody. You should also be able to gauge the relationship between you and the family law attorney to determine if it is a proper fit for you.
If you would like to schedule a free consultation family law, please give us a call at (480) 833-1113 .
Leave a Reply