For nearly a month, the trial was held against George Zimmerman. The state charged him with second degree murder for the death of Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman asserted self defense under Florida’s “Stand Your Ground “ law, and plead not guilty. Six jurors were sequestered and charged with rendering one of three verdicts.
- Guilt of second degree murder.
- Guilty of manslaughter (only brought in at the end of the case).
- Not guilty and Zimmerman goes free.
Most of you have seen nearly nonstop replays and real time portions of the trial. Nearly sixty witnesses and hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent. The jury has deliberated and returned the verdict of not guilty.
Lessons learned from the Zimmerman Case
- Arizona is a concealed carry weapon state, meaning most citizens can carry a concealed weapon.
- Regardless of the circumstances or threat of bodily injury on death, if you draw a weapon there are serious consequences.
- If you fire a weapon, injure or to kill someone, expect to be charged criminally and sued civilly. (The Martin family already has lawyered up for civil suit).
- Expect to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars hiring lawyers to represent you.
- If you are involved in a shooting, retain an attorney IMMEDIATELY, DO NOT MAKE ANY STATEMENTS TO LAW ENFORCEMENT. (They are only doing their job, be polite, don’t lie, just say “Mr. Rowley told me to invoke my right to remain silent, I will cooperate after I talk with my lawyer”.
- Never brandish, display or point a gun at anyone unless your life or your loved ones life are ready to be taken and then expect civil and criminal charges and substantial, economic, emotional and physical hardships.
- As an attorney, I advise you, if you can avoid using a weapon, run, hide, retreat and only use it as the last resort.
If you do use a weapon, call your criminal defense lawyerfirst. We are trained to protect you!
Our thoughts and Prayers go out to all 307 passengers, crew and their families of flight 214. 2 of the 307 did not survive the crash and aftermath in San Francisco and at least 50 have serious injuries. Another 130 are hospitalized, many are children. As an aviation law attorney, Pilot, Aircraft owner and Member of the FAA Safety Team, in my opinion aircraft travel is still one of the safest and most economical modes of transportation.
For those ordered to pay child support, remember that non-payment is serious.
If you lose your job or your income goes down, you should immediately file for a reduction in child support; if granted the reduction will be retroactive to when you filed.
If you fail to file and just hope your ex-spouse will let it go, BEWARE.
If you pay directly to your ex-spouse and not through the court ordered Clearinghouse, Arizona law says your direct cash payment to the payee may be deemed a gift and not for child support. Again BEWARE.
If your ex-spouse says, “just pay what you can and when you get back on your feet, you can pay the full amount,” BEWARE!
Child support arrearages are NOT dischargeable in bankruptcy and DO accrue interest.
Also, the State Child Support Enforcement Agency can intercept your tax refund. The judge can incarcerate you for contempt, non-payment and arrears.
The bottom line: child support can be modified if times are tough, if your income goes down, or your ex-spouse’s income goes up, or when kids turn 18 and graduate. But the modification downward is NOT automatic. You MUST file with the court to protect your rights.
If you have any questions, contact me. We can run a child support worksheet and advise you if you are entitled to a child support reduction. If you receive child support and your ex-spouse is making a lot more money, you may be entitled to an increase in child support.
Call us and BEWARE!
Attorney Profile: Paul S. Rowley, Arizona Child Support Lawyer
They were recently married, had a reality TV show “Ev and Ocho” on TV in the works, Dolphins wide receiver, life was good . . . . . . . or maybe not.
Ochocinco has been arrested for domestic violence after head butting Ev. The Dolphins terminated his lucrative contract, Ev has filed for divorce, and the reality TV show is cancelled. What happened?
Apparently Ev, found a receipt in her husband’s car, which led her to discover that Ochocinco, who she just married July 4th, had allegedly been unfaithful.
Chad has pled not guilty, was released on bail, and is innocent until proven guilty. There are always two sides to every story. Chad says Ev head butted him first.
Interestingly, the argument between the two occurred while seated in their “Smart Car” parked in their front yard on the grass.
Have you ever seen a smart car? I am surprised Ochocinco (6’ 4” tall) could fit in a Smart Car.
Whatever the truth is, the lessons we can learn from this are helpful:
- Never harm your spouse. Physical abuse is unacceptable.
- Control your emotions. Regardless of wrongdoing, physical violence is not the answer.
- Be faithful to your spouse.
- If you leave a receipt in your car for your wife to find that implicates you in inappropriate contact with the opposite sex, don’t sit and discuss it in your Smart Car – not really very smart at all, is it?
- Have a good attorney on your side, whether it be for the divorce or the criminal charges.
- Make sure you have a prenup if you have assets and second marriage.
This is truly an unfortunate reversal of fortunes and opportunities.
We wish Ev and Ocho the best.
Maybe thru some intensive counseling, outside help and lots of good friends and family support, things will work out for both of them.
Unfortunately, for now though, because of their choices, it is time to lawyer up!
Attorney Profile: Paul S. Rowley, Arizona Divorce Lawyer
Add to that financial issues and it can become very contentious.
Acrimony increases when spouses argue over what is His, Mine and Ours in the divorce.
If you have assets or a business prior to marriage or inherit assets during the marriage, before you comingle, consider the legal ramification. Contact your lawyer and discuss option.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Should you have a prenuptial agreement, separate trust, LLC or post marital agreement, better do it now than later or there could be an expensive dispute later.
I have had many clients who tell me, “my wife said she would never go after my business” or “my husband agreed when he gave me this new Lexus and 4 carat diamond ring that it was all mine.”
Later when they divorce, the spouse has selective memory.
So, better safe now then sorry later. Get some good legal advice from a qualified divorce and family law attorney. Call me at (480) 833-1113, I can help.
Attorney Profile: Paul S. Rowley, Arizona Divorce Lawyer
Divorce and Child Custody Lawyer in Mesa Arizona | Arizona’s Medical Marijuana Act – How Do We Protect Employers and Our Children | Paul S. Rowley
Arizona Aviation Attorney | Fly Safe/Fly Legal – The FAA Has Over 700 Federal Regulations! | Paul Rowley
Lessons on How Not to Act Like Charlie Sheen (If you want to keep custody of your children) | Child Custoday Lawyer in Mesa Arizona | Paul Rowley